Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Everything happens for a reason

            Someone once told me that I was a pitiful creature that contributed nothing to society. Not just someone, though, my best friend. It served a pivotal role in helping me to become who I am.
            She was right. And I don’t mean that in the self-pitying sense that I would have so quickly embraced at that time in my life. I mean, quite frankly, that I was too centered on myself to be worthwhile to anyone.
            I know now that that was, at least in some ways, typical of an adolescent. I know that I endured certain hardships that perhaps amplified my self-pity, as well as my self-loathing. I understand that, and I find myself expressing appreciation that this person dared to confront me with the truth that none other would.
            From that point forward, I figured out how to cope. I learned how to deal with my own problems in a more personal way, rather than searching for some solace in the relationships that I had formed. This confrontation helped me to develop a great self-awareness and to further understand how to interact with others.
            I am still far from socially sound. I mean this in the sense that I struggle, at times, with social interaction. I am anxious when it comes to holding conversations, and certain social situations terrify me. I have, however, successfully found my way into a committed and beautiful relationship. I have a number of people who I consider friends, and who consider me at least somehow pertinent to their life at this time.
            I have done well as a student, regardless of the number of presentations I’ve had to give. I have come to understand myself more fully and rationally than I ever could have as an adolescent in the environment that I was provided. I am still irrational at times, I suppose we all are. All in all, though, I’ve found my way. I have a lot of potential and a number of opportunities before me. Whether I fulfill that potential, well, we’ll just have to see.
            My point, then, is that sometimes the most hurtful things help to shape us into better people. Sometimes we spend a lot of time suffering before we become the strong, well-situated people that will succeed in life. Every person has a past, and everyone has a secret that would shock the people that know them now. I, personally, have a few. If people knew where I had been, it would surprise them that I am who I am today.
            Life has a funny way of shaping us through the most peculiar circumstances. Don’t worry about what’s to come. Just have faith that everything that’s happening is happening for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment